In this episode, Dietician for Elder Services of the Merrimack Valley and North Shore Leigh Hartwell shows us how to prepare Salmon Patties, which are a great source of vitamin D.
Watch this episode and scroll down for recipes and exercise descriptions.
Prep: 15 Min
Cook: 10 Min
Total: 25 Min
Nutritional Facts: per 1 Patty
Calories: 225 Carbohydrates: 9g
Protein: 22 g Fat: 10g
Sodium: 525 mg
Andover/North Andover YMCA Trainer Zoe Frangules walks us through strength-building exercises to maintain healthy bones. Here are a few tips to remember when doing the exercises:
Chair sit ups
– Sit in chair and engage your core by bringing your upper body forward and backward
Chair side crunches
– Sit in chair and engage your core by bringing your upper body side to side
Chair mountain climbers *use a sturdy chair, a chair against a wall, or a couch*
– Face the chair and place hands on edge of chair and walk your feet back and forth as if you were to push the chair along a surface
Chair tricep dips *use a sturdy chair, a chair against a wall, or a couch*
– Sit in the chair then scooch yourself off so that only your hands are holding you up. By holding onto the edge of the chair, you can lower your body and bring yourself back up by using arm strength.
Chair leg extensions
– Sit in the chair and extend your legs out as if you were to kick something in front of you. Hold that position for an extra challenge.
Chair back leg extensions
– Hold onto the back of the chair for balance and kick out your leg backwards, alternating legs
Chair back side kicks
– Hold onto the back of the chair for balance and kick out your leg to the side, alternating legs
Stair calf raises
– Rest the balls of your feet on the edge of a stair and dip your heels down and then back up repeatedly